Monday, October 18, 2010

Recipe: Meetmirsang Bazalli Eeson - Seer Fish Steaks with onion salsa

This dish is soul food for me and normally the dish I always ask for on my first meal, when I go home to my mum's. This and bimbli saar with red rice (Bimblis are a sour fruit, hardly available outside of Mangalore) and maybe galmbi (tiny dried shrimp) chutney made by grandma or mum, is food heaven for me.

When I make the fish in my home, I serve it with white rice and dhal.

Ingredients:
2 slices Seer Fish
1 tsp Meet Mirsang (You can adjust for taste)
Oil to Fry (coconut is most authentic, mustard adds a level of spice, but any cooking oil will do)

Onion Salsa Ingredients:
1 medium onion chopped
1-2 green chillies chopped (adjust to taste)
few sprigs of corriander (cilantro) leaves chopped
salt to taste
vinegar or lemon juice to taste
Mix all ingredients and keep aside before you start to fry the fish, so the vinegar can infuse the onions.

Method:
Apply the Meet Mirsang on the fish and marinate for at least 15 minutes or even overnight.
Warm a tsp or so of oil in a pan.
Shallow fry the fish in this oil, turning over once.
Drain the oil and place it on a serving plate.
Sprinkle the onion salsa on the fish when the fish is still hot and serve.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis