Thursday, July 23, 2020

Recipe : Manglorean Burmese Khow Suey / Ohn No Khao Swe (Vegan Option)

Many many years ago, I posted an alternative recipe for Khow Suey and I promised to share my regular recipe too. It's only taken me 10 years to post this! 🤦

Khow Suey is a Burmese noodle soup with coconut milk which I have accompanied with Burmese split pea crackers (channa dhal) among other toppings.


I’m not sure how “authentic” my recipe is, given that I broadly follow one from the Manglorean Ladies Club Cookery Book that is over 25 years old. (My copy is the 5th edition in 1988, but the first edition was in 1978) So I suspect that this may be heavily modified - Russian Salad anyone?

But we love the flavours, so I continue to make it this way. The curry is very yum and can also be eaten with Rice or rotis, especially if you have leftovers.

While I make this curry with chicken, you can use boiled eggs, potatoes, veggies of your choice, tofu, or rehydrated beans, thus making this dish vegetarian or vegan as per your choice.

Ingredients :
750 gms boneless chicken - clean & cut into tikka size cubes
1/2 kg onions
2" ginger cleaned
1 pod garlic cleaned
20 long dry red chillies destemmed
1 tbsp fresh ground turmeric or 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 can coconut milk (or milk of 1 coconut)
1 tbsp oil
salt to taste

4 - 6 nests Egg noodles - cooked as per instructions on packet

Method:
Grind together half the onions (250 gms), ginger, garlic, red chillies.

In a pan, heat some oil.

Add the other half of the onions and fry till opaque.

Add turmeric and fry for a minute or so, until the raw smell goes away.

Now, add the ground masala and fry on a medium flame till cooked and the oil seperates. You can add masala water (water got from rinsing your grinder jar) or thin coconut milk to maintain moisture as you are cooking.

When the masala is cooked, add chicken (or veggies / tofu) and cook till tender.

Now add the coconut milk (medium flame) and cook till it boils. If you want to add any veggies that just need a bit of a steam, add them now.
I added 200 gms sugar snap peas and 200 gms mangetout.

Turn off the flame.

Serve noodles and curry separately with an array of toppings, so everyone can assemble their own.


Toppings Ideas:
Fried noodles
Lime wedges,
Fried onion
Chilli flakes
Fresh coriander
Fried garlic
Boiled eggs
Green chillies
Fresh onion
Pe kyaw
Roasted peanuts





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis